Notice of vacancy for a Regional Coordinator
Asia-Pacific Office (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
Education International, the Global Union Federation which represents over 400 organisations of teachers and other education workers throughout the world, has a vacancy for a Regional Coordinator, based the EI Asia-Pacific office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
As part of a small, dedicated, and multi-cultural team, the Regional Coordinator implements EI policies and activities at regional level, including the provision of assistance to organisations involved in development co-operation, (s)he maintains contacts with member organisations, reports to head office on regional developments and organises meetings of regional governing bodies. The Coordinator assists and works under the supervision of the Chief Regional Coordinator in fulfilling this role.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The person appointed will be required:
- to work, in collaboration with other EI staff at regional and head office level, in advocating and implementing EI policies and working programmes;
- to support remotely and/or to undertake missions to, and consultations with, EI member organisations in the region and regional governing and non-governing bodies;
- to participate in the development of co-operation development projects, to co-ordinate and assist in the implementation of such projects and to ensure the application of EI policies in respect of development co-operation activities;
- to assist in the preparation and organisation of EI Regional Committee and Regional Conference meetings and of other regional meetings, such as seminars, round tables, etc.;
- to acquire and maintain relevant professional knowledge and skills by participating in appropriate training and other activities as required from time to time.
- to develop, implement and maintain a communications strategy including media/social media plans to assist in promoting the objectives and highlighting the achievements of the organisation ;
- regularly scan media and news and emerging research information on existing or newly launched activities/developments across the region examining potential campaign/media opportunities; and
- to undertake such other appropriate tasks as are assigned from time to time;
- Self-motivated and systematic;
- Good organizational and analytical skills;
- Excellent team player and supports building strong team;
- Ability to collaborate and to work independently;
- Ability to prioritize and to work under pressure;
- Excellent inter-personal communications skills.
Education and professional experience
- A university degree or its equivalent in education or a field related to the duties and responsibilities;
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is essential qualification for the post. A knowledge of other regional languages would be an advantage;
- Relevant experience and especially, experience of working with EI member organisations and/or in trade union and/or in international organisations and/or in development and cooperation and/or education area would be an advantage;
- Excellent communication and writing skill including drafting, editing and use of social media;
- Knowledge and skills in the use of the MS Office Suite and of the information technologies.
Salary and Conditions of service
An attractive salary and conditions package will apply to the post. Appointment will be to an appropriate point of Regional salary Scale depending on professional qualifications and experience. Details will be available on application.
All EI staff are accountable to the General Secretary, either directly or through designated staff members. If the needs of the organisation so require, staff members may be requested to perform appropriate duties related to another position, either on a temporary or permanent basis, provided that these duties correspond to the level of their position and that their professional experience and training is adequate. Position descriptions are not definite and may be adapted.
Applications, outlining in detail how the candidate meets the criteria set out above and containing details of professional qualifications and experience, and a writing sample should be submitted in confidence by e-mail to Raphaël Van Woensel ([email protected]), in order to reach him no later than 5.00 p.m. (CEST) on May 2nd, 2019. Candidates should also supply the names and contact details of two persons who are known to them and would be willing to supply professional references.
ETUCE is the European Region of Education International (EI). It is a Social Partner organisation at European level and a European Trade Union Federation within the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC).
The ETUCE secretariat in Brussels is a relatively small secretariat, valuing an informal working atmosphere, close team work, and a high level of excellence in its work.
Required Education and Employment Background
An attractive salary and conditions of service package are to be provided in accordance with the ETUCE/Staff Collective Agreement. Health and travel insurance are provided.
Applications including a cover letter and CV as well as a portfolio with original content and other supporting material of the candidate’s experience must be submitted by 4 May 2019 to [email protected]
Education International is an independent global union federation that is run by its member organisations representing more than 32 million education workers. At Congress every four years, officers and an Executive Committee are elected. The EI Secretariat, working under the elected General Secretary, consists of a staff of seventy people who are committed to working in the interest of public education and education personnel.
Our staff members work in both the headquarters in Brussels, Belgium as well as in our regional offices in Lebanon, Ghana, Malaysia and Costa Rica. We are looking for dedicated individuals who possess not only the relevant experience and professionalism, but also the following core competencies:
- Excellent level of spoken and written English, plus knowledge of at least one of our three other official languages, German, French and Spanish;
- A keen interest in issues related to education and trade union matters;
- Ability to work at an international level in a multicultural and multilingual environment;
- Ability to balance multiple demands and deadlines with composure;
- An excellent knowledge of IT, particularly as applied to their field of expertise.
Working conditions are in accordance with the Education International collective agreement. Education International offers employee benefits including medical, life and disability insurance, a retirement plan and generous holiday and leave benefits. EI is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, national or ethnic origins, sexual orientation, disability, religion or age. However, due to the international character of our organisation, emphasis is given to geographical balance when recruiting.
Internship opportunities are available from time to time. Please feel free to contact us to see if an internship position is available.